Don’t get me wrong. Pregnancy is great. I loved it! The whole experience of growing a baby inside your belly is beyond amazing. Actually no words can describe how amazing growing a little human inside of you is! No words.
You hear all these great things about going through pregnancy, you also hear some not great things and then a bit of half half. I thought I had heard the most of it, and I did. But actually having to experience those things yourself is so different to someone just telling you about them.
I wish I knew more of a lot of things but I’ve narrowed it down to just a few that have had a long lasting effect on me.
- There is no cure for morning sickness
- There might be temporary ways of going about the whole morning sickness saga, but they are just temporary, and there is only so much of temporary for 17 weeks you can take. The type of morning sickness I endured had me in hospital on drips, that pain relief was temporary too. There is no cure. Really. Just hug it out.
- Do not splurge on baby clothes
- WHY did no one tell me this? Well if they had I probably still wouldn’t have listened. Common, all those cute baby clothes, they’re just screaming “BUY ME”. And, thats what I did. 6 months after my first born came into the world, I kid you not, 90% of the clothes I had bought STILL had the price tags on them. ALL THAT MONEY. All those cute dresses. Those headbands and booties.
- Breastfeeding Hurts
- Oh my golly gosh, the pain. I always knew breastfeeding would originally be hard. But I did not know it would hurt. The first few weeks anyways. Sore, cracked and at one time BLEEDING nipples. Every time my baby latched, my toes cringed and I held my breathe for at least 20 seconds. Don’t get me wrong, it becomes ALOT easier. Just the initial first weeks when your learning to latch your baby on correctly, getting used to the truck loads of milk being produced and the suckling motions of your baby it a whole heap to get used too.
- Stay away from Sterile Water Injections
- Something I NEVER had heard of before. I had heard of the usual pain relief methods during labour however not a sterile water injection. What the heck were they?? I endured ALOT of back labour due to the position of my baby and my midwife suggested I get these 4, yes FOUR, injections into my back to relieve the pain. Anything to relieve this horrid pain I was in I thought. I don’t even know how to write the next sentence. My toes are literally cringing at the thought of these injections. Lets put it this way, I have never been in as much pain as I was in when those 4 injections were going into my back. Every swear word that ever existed wanted to come out of my mouth, but all I could do was scream. I screamed the whole maternity ward down. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, please DO NOT get these injections. You would rather endure any pain then those first 2 minutes of these injections. I’m going to stop there. It freaks me out.
- Water Weight
- Water weight + Gained Weight = Elephant on steroids. I had the biggest kankles ever! My shoes didn’t fit, my toes where conjoined. It was yuck and it stayed around right up until AFTER I gave birth. It hurt to walk, my legs were heavy and I literally just wanted to sit down all the time. My shoes didn’t fit so I literally wore thongs everywhere! The warmer the day was, the bigger everything got. OH boy, it was hard work. Don’t wish this upon anyone!
Wow, that bought back the memories!
Every good thing and not so good thing was worth it – must explain baby number 2.